166. SPIRITUALS – religious hymn-like songs where Christian lyrics were applied to African-influenced melodies.
167. RAGTIME – Genre of music from the late 19th and early 20th century that had roots in spirituals, work songs, along with field hollers and ballads. A very close relative to the early traditional blues.
Objective(s): Students will to respond to music notation on the first five strings of the guitar by performing exercises and simple melodies (Unit IV of Book). Students will perform open chords (Principal progressions in Am, G, C, D, Dm, & A). Students will perform simple first position scales (C, Am, Open Pentatonic). Students will partner for Seasonal Duet preparation and practice.
- Group Tune / Daily Vocab
- Warm Ups – 1234, 1243, etc., Spider, Triplet
- Review – Scales, Round, Chords (strum construct)
- Unit V – Accidentals
- Blues Improvisation and Busy Blues Progression